Enabling transfers requires a runtime update, specifically:
removal of this line in the runtime will remove all restrictions on extrinsics currently in place.
that would mean:
- build polkadot with that line removed from the runtime
- find the wasm blob in your release folder
- create a new democracy (or council) proposal calling system_setCode with your newly built runtime as the parameter. this will give you a proposal hash.
- you need to prove your proposal hash matches this specific change “out of channel”/off-chain, and get people to vote (and second your proposal if you are going through democracy) - this is currently non-trivial
- after your vote is enacted on-chain, you must reveal your preimage (you can see this option in the democracy tab in the apps UI).
- after waiting for the enactment period to pass, the change is immediately applied
I would not recommend going through this process on your own as until we have a proper governance platform, it wouldn’t be trivial to do the off-chain part of this process. Hence council has been driving all referenda so far. Council motions with majority only need a simple majority to pass as referenda after the voting period passes (as opposed to proposals submitted via democracy which have quorum biasing [quorum to pass changes over time]).
haven’t heard of any council members or community members against enabling transfers